Mga Pahina

Linggo, Disyembre 23, 2012

Call Centers, Dyslexia and Idiots

I have been fascinated with the Indian culture since I was a kid. I am not sure of the root cause, but all I know is that I am attracted with colorful cultures and history. God willing, I will be able to finally visit the country next year, 1st week of November, just in time for their Deepavali (Festival of Light). 

Last week, before I started this blog, I have decided to document my chronicles BEFORE my India trip. I want to study more about the country and their culture in the comfort of my own cozy little room. In short, I will be in India without really being in India. 

I believe that's how things work. You have to attract your deepest desires and actually live like you already have them. For the past weeks, I have been watching some bollywood films (recommended by couchsurfers), listening to traditional music and trying to cook their delicacies. 

Let me show you a glimpse of what I did for the past week.. 



Outsourced is a TV series about an American Call Center Manager who was assigned to handle a call center in India.  I am not sure if this series is offending to Indians but I have learned some of the basics of their culture (and how Indian girls are really attractive). You can easily relate to the characters especially because of their humor, sarcasm and their innocence. Going back to the cultural side, I have learned that:

- there is no such thing as "Indian" language
- touching the feet of an elderly to show respect is noteworthy. 
- Indians, are in many ways similar to Filipinos in terms of values.

Enough has been said about outsourced so lets now talk about 2 Bollywood movies which I watched this week, Taare Zameen Par and 3 Idiots (for the 3rd time).



Taare Zameen Par or Stars on Earth is about an 8 year old boy who suffers from Dyslexia. The little boy, Ishaan, felt insecure and "unloved" until he met his art teacher (Ram Shankar Nikhumb played by the awesome Aamir Khan) who believed that every child has a potential--without exemptions. Ram brought out the best in Ishaan even if he faced persecutions from his fellow teachers. There were various tearjerkers in the film especially the relationship of Ishaan and his family as well as the improvement of Ishaan's character as a student, as a son and as a person. 

Lesson: Never underestimate a person because of his weaknesses. Look at his strengths and focus on them. 

(thanks to my couchsurfing friend, Sid Kandoi for recommending this film..) 




If you haven't watched this film...shame on you! Sorry for being so rude, but this is a must see movie. I don't want to tell the story or the plot because it's really for you to find out. If you want to step out from mediocrity and think outside the box, this is an inspirational film to watch.  

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento